Overnight oats are a blessing. Maybe not a photogenic blessing, but certainly a welcome gift on busy mornings where time is of the essence. Lately, during that time of the school year where the snooze button becomes a bad friend that pushes you into the realm of avoidable hurry, overnight oats have become a delectable treat of convenience. And I believe I have developed the perfect overnight oatmeal recipe.
Adaptable, easy, flavorful, and balanced, this porridge is a newfound staple of mine. The creamy thickness coats your mouth and fills your stomach, leaving you pleasantly satisfied for hours after eating. This is also a customizable bowl. Feel free to change the liquid, switch any extracts and spices, or add non acidic fruits and vegetables (acidic fruits, like berries, tend to turn sour overnight) to paint a flavor onto the oats. Changing the protein powder, adding spreads or jams, or other flavoring powders will give the same effect. This is a basic recipe that you can change to suit your personal needs. Vegans can simply replace the yogurt with applesauce, mashed banana, pumpkin (and additional sweetener) or coconut yogurt. Whey or other protein powders can be substituted for the pea protein powder, whey just upsets my stomach and this is what I had on hand!
Perfectly Thick Overnight Oats
1/2-1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup yogurt**
1/4 cup cashew milk
1 scoop of protein powder**I used vanilla orgain organic pea protein
1-2 tablespoons of raisons
1 teaspoon of honey or stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon, to taste
Nearly Empty or “Nearly Empty” nut butter jar
**see above for substitutions
1. Add the shredded zucchini to a bowl and cook in the microwave with a tabkespoon water for a few minutes (I do three, but this will change depending on your microwave. Just make sure your zucchini is well cooked! You could omit the zucchini if you wanted.
2. Remove the cooked zucchini from the microwave, add the oats and yogurt, and stir.
3. Wait a few minutes for the mixture to cool a bit before adding the cinnamon, vanilla extract, raisons, protein powder, and milk. The mixture will be quite thick. You can add more milk, if desired.
4. Plop the mixture into the peanut butter jar. Lid it and let it sit overnight.
5. In the morning, add more nut butter, some nuts, some fruit, and anything else you desire! Enjoy your perfect bowl of oatmeal!